Red Velvet Cake Recipe

Thursday, January 8, 2015

An hour from now, I will be heading to meet up with some of my best buddies. I thought of surprising them with a cake made from the bottom of my heart. I actually spent the entire morning baking this cake. It's really fun baking when you have all the time in the world. I only baked one cake because I didn't want to leave one at home since most of us are "on diet." You're looking at around 2000 to 3000 calories of sinful goodness. 

This is meant to be a red velvet cake; but I should have poured more red food coloring to hide the brownish tint from the tablespoons of chocolate I added. My favorite red velvet cake recipe is taken from the website Divas can cook. I've tried other recipes, but this is the one I like the most. However, I reduced the amount of sugar and salt; increased the amount of chocolate; and used cake flour instead of all purpose flour.


Let me just write the recipe down for future reference:
2 c. cake flour, 1 t. baking powder, 1 t. baking soda, 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 3/4 c brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1/4 t. iodized salt, 1 t. white vinegar, 1 c. canola oil, 1 c. fresh milk (buttermilk was not available unfortunately), 2 t. vanilla extract, red food coloring and 1/2 cup of hot coffee.


For the cream cheese frosting, I used 1 stick butter, 1 stick cream cheese and 1 c. confectioner's sugar. People normally add 2 c. sugar; but again, I don't like very sweet cakes so I always cut back on the sugar.

The roses and leaves are just simple fondant icing. 

I really love baking but I hate eating. This is why I really enjoy baking cakes for my friends! I just can't wait to see them. Bye for now. Gotta run...

0 comments:

Post a Comment